Sunday, September 28, 2008

My sister's poetry

My sister, Hannah, is now taking the poetry class I took when I was a junior in high school, except now she's taking it from Joshua Gibbs whereas I took from Justin Hughes. They were asked to write a short poem on any subject that interests them. Hannah is a violinist and she really loves music in general. She was having trouble figuring out what specifically to write about so I suggested that she write a poem about Symphony Conductors (something I had thought about putting to poetry sometime; but of course she beat me to it). Here's what she wrote:

Hannah Noland
Mr. Gibbs
Poetry


The Ascension


The night he performed, I was there
Sensing the stillness, the vibrations, the lyrical power.
A creation – words, as it were,
Spoken directly to my soul.

A child’s first climb up a tree -
Love, terror, joy, pleasure compounded,
Listening, waiting, the triumphant ascension.
The climax, awaited, rejoiced.

Four quick strokes of his baton,
An imitation of God.

It's not finished, it still needs to be edited by her peers and such; but it looks like a "finished" poem to me. I thought it was very good. I'm pretty proud of my sister. . .

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, nice job! The tree metaphor is perfect. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete