Saturday, September 20, 2008

Brother and Sister Atheists. . .

This is going to be like one of those cheesy restaurant kid puzzles, what's wrong with this picture? You mean other than the fact that a school-bus is underwater with a clown as the driver? Oh, I think I found it. It must be that Kangaroo chillin' on the bottom floor, this is obviously the Atlantic ocean (pretty far from the kangaroo's native Australia).

Can you spot the utter absurdity?

My brother and sister atheists. . . This is the way Eddie Tabash, a militant atheist, addressed his audience of Minnesota atheists not long ago (I looked this up on Youtube because last night I saw him debate Pastor Doug Wilson). He proposes that the nonbelievers, atheists, agnostics, and general freethinkers of today should have an inner peace believing that their efforts, though not putting a dent in today's "superstitious" America, will bear its fruit in a future godless era. In previous times, atheistic efforts had a very short half-life of effectiveness. Spinoza, Hume, Ingersoll, and many others did their best at removing superstition beliefs but their efforts (though initially successful) failed to bring about lasting change. Atheists should do their part, first, by continuing to show the wont of evidence for the theistic (particular Christian theistic), and consequentially how childish belief in a non-existent God is. Secondly, atheists should support their "cause?" by voting for atheist politicians who (among other things) oppose the teaching of creationism in public schools, advocate the separation of church and state, and who are in favor or removing God from the pledge. This will lead to greater acceptance of the stance of unbelief, and generally more tolerance for religious (or non-religious) minorities. In a recent poll (Tabash claims) it was found (by whom, I don't know) that most in the religious right would rather vote for a homosexual than for an atheist. If he thinks long enough, I believe Tabash would realize why this is (presumably) the case.

I have a few things to say. What Tabash is proposing sounds an awful lot like a religion. Was he attempting irony when he addressed his constituents as "brother and sister atheists"? The very fact that they have to band together like this is evidence that they are kicking against the goads. For many of them, the only thing they have in common is a disbelief in the supernatural. It's likely that many of them are political liberals, but this leaves a very large margin for disagreement. Anyway, if you get a chance I recommend watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmwqL_JL3mI

I could just embed it, but I'm not going to (I don't like explaining myself). Just go to Youtube and watch it. You will find your faith strengthened by the stupendous effort that these brave men and women, atheists, put into ensuring that God takes no part in their lives. And all it does is make God laugh.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, though, Tabash actually engaged Wilson on the First Principles playing field. Or, rather, he would have if he had had any first principles. For what it was, though, I applaud him. It was probably the best defense of atheism that I have ever seen, though my experience is admittedly limited. My favorite quote of the night, though, was from Pastor Wilson:

    "[after Tabash compared their respective arguments to riding horses, and that he would last longer than Pastor Wilson on his 'horse'] Eddie says that he can ride longer. Well, I think Eddie's horse is dead, and I'm gonna beat it some more."

    Amazing. You want to talk about rhetorical points scored.

    ReplyDelete