Monday, October 27, 2008

Rob is fixin' to be in open rebellion against Wendell Berry

I must apologize to all those who (like me) have a deep respect for the poet, essayist, and farmer Wendell Berry. If you've read "Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community" you'll likely be aware that Wendell Berry has a deep suspicion of  technological things which attempt to replace things that come from the good tilled earth. As his main example of this, he says that people tell him that in the near future a device will appear that can display newspapers, magazines, and books, and will eventually replace paper-bound books.

As it turns out, whoever told him this is right. There may be others but the "E-book reader" that caught my attention was "Kindle"; the reader created by Amazon.com. This is a 10.3 ounce rectangular device that can hold up to 300 books, newspapers, and magazines (with a slot for an SD card that would greatly increase its capacity).

In the past I haven't been a fan of e-books because I just don't want to read off of a screen - it tires my eyes. However, Amazon.com claims that their screen uses a special E-ink display that uses no backlighting and looks very similar to ink on a page. In addition, since it's not backlit it is just as easy to read outside in bright sunlight as it is inside.

This isn't even what really excites me. What really excites me is how cheap some of the books are on Kindle. I could buy the "Complete Works of Shakespeare" for about 5 $. "The Landmark Thucydides", a book which I will be required to read next year is just 10$. The savings vary but just about all Kindle versions of a book are cheaper than their print versions. Theoretically, the device could pay for itself.

Even though there are many benefits to using this format for reading, I don't think printed books are going to be disappearing just yet. People still like to display their books (and smell them) and I don't think this desire is going to go away with this technology. In any case, I know Wendell Berry won't be getting one (and that's fine with me).

Meanwhile, this is all I'm going to be asking for Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. So much for most of M. J. Adler's tips on reading books. There's no way to underline, notate, etc., no way to dog-ear page corners, not to mention a disconnect between what you and what you are reading. I mean, compare the supple feel of a paper book compared to the hard plastic of a Kindle e-reader.

    I used to think that the Kindle was a neat idea but I have since changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Rob, that I don't think this device will replace print. Well, maybe you prefer the smell of ozone to that of leather, mold, and ink (but your sister would be very disappointed).

    But consider it done. Looking forward to seeing you (and smelling O3) at Christmas!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. David said, 'Yeah, I bet you get one, too!!!"

    Kindle is great for some things. Just think about the library you could carry around with you, while only having to lug around a little electronic dohickey. Makes that backpack a lot lighter when you can have all of Shakespeare's works in one device.

    On the other hand, it can't replace dog-eared pages of well-loved books. Books are things that we live in and contain worlds inside. I don't want to leave all of that behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, I absolutely agree with you. Kindle is easier.

    Ben N.

    ReplyDelete