Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I find their perseverance inspiring

The Somali pirates are, a full week later, still in possession of the Ukrainian weapons freighter. Despite the best efforts of the American and Russian navies, they're still negotiating with whomever it is that owns all of the cargo. And from what I hear, they want more than 30 million. That's right. They are getting at least 10 million big ones more than they started out at. That's called aggressive bargaining. Or they just pointed out that the dollar is worth less this week than last week. I'm telling you, you just can't make this stuff up. I dare you to even try. 

For your further amusement: 

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iIJxAamZcHRiTMK-42nPDj-GO2zQ

Favorite phrase from this article: "both sides are definitely ready to talk amicably." Really? I'm no psychologist, but I'm guessing that the last thing on the minds of those Ukrainian arms dealers is amicability.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say "the best efforts of the American and Russian navies..." We're talking about a US Navy warship against Somali pirates. They could have blown the pirates out of the water.

    But you're right, they know how to play their cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have used that word.

    On a side track, I would have loved to have found out that the Somalis started taking pot shots at the navy with the artillery they have on the freighter. I don't know why, but the whole image that conjures up in my mind is exceptionally funny.

    ReplyDelete