Thursday, March 5, 2009

You've got to hear this

Because this is "Magnificent": I was born to sing for you / I didn’t have a choice but to lift you up / And sing whatever song you wanted me to / I give you back my voice / From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise… Only love, only love can leave such a mark / But only love, only love can heal such a scar / Justified till we die, you and I will magnify / The Magnificent


Only U2 can pull off this kind of cultural subversion. At the end of this month they will go on tour, and they will sing this song. And tens of thousands of people will be singing these verses. And they will return to their cars, still singing the refrain. I think it will be glorious.


Perhaps the fools among them will think that this is just a normal love song. About just a normal, perishable lover who causes Bono to sing these words. It does work on this level.

Maybe they know that U2 is a christian band, but love the songs and are prepared to ignore the "religion." This is good music.

It really doesn't matter. The very stones themselves are crying out. Don't let them outdo us. Praise the LORD!

4 comments:

  1. I will personally give a fiver to anyone who can name me the movie reference in this post. it's also not in the lyrics to the song. Amazing song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's from "Sunshine". I'm pretty dang sure of it. Now, where's that fiver Kaleb?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it. "I think it will be beautiful"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wasn't thinking of "Sunshine" when I wrote it. Perhaps it was subconscious.

    ReplyDelete