Monday, March 9, 2009

What I don't understand (greatly abridged)

I don't understand:

1. Why it is suddenly snowing in Moscow. It's not strange for it to snow up here; it's just that it was showing signs of being a bit like Spring. Oh well, I've heard that the winter plays tricks on people.

2. Why I limp, and must now walk with a cane.


I'm a little more prone to complain (to God, not to you) about the second on this list, because it was completely unexpected and makes no sense to me at all. I want to ask, like Tevye in Fiddler On the Roof - "Dear God. Was that necessary?" It seems like a just question. I already went through this three years ago; during my junior year in high school I needed a cane to walk. I went through months of physical therapy to walk without it. Why, dear God, again?

But I already know the answer. I have it in 2 Corinthians. Paul asked the Lord to remove the thorn in his flesh, and He answered "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV).

So far from understanding why I have some malady that causes the limp, I don't even know what malady it is. Three years ago I went to every doctor that could possibly give an answer. I took tests confirming that I do not have Multiple Sclerosis, or Early Onset Parkinson's disease, or any of the other diseases that plagued those around me with worry. Thank God, I have none of those.

Here's what I do have:

1. A Loving family
2. A good church
3. A gracious God

Of course, I already knew this. There is no kind of confirmation though, like hardship. And it's enough to turn my complaining into sincere gratitude. Indeed, His grace is sufficient for me. Praise the Lord!

3 comments:

  1. Dude, what's with the title? "No First person Pronouns"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, as long as I don't start it with "I" we're good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you at least got some signs of spring. I live in Alaska and I am currently having to tromp through about 4 feet of snow every time I walk outside. Not to mention that right now it is snowing, in a most blizzard like manner, at about 3 inches per hour. The snow falling off of the roof covers up half of our windows. I can't explain how badly I miss the sun!
    By the way, I'm sorry about your limp. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete