Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Scariest word in the English language. . .

Oops [!]

Usually accompanied with an exclamation point when it is written,* "oops" has long been considered the scariest word in the English language. At just four letters it packs a mighty punch. Although, its true strength can only be measured by the context in which it is uttered, "oops" is never a good thing to hear.


Close cousins to oops [excluding vulgarities]:
Whoops
Whoopsies
Whoopsiedaisies
Crud bucket
Shucks
We're in a tight spot
Did I do that?


*Depending on the enormity of the disaster. If it's a fairly harmless mistake, such as when a few innocent hairs are plucked out of existence, then only one is necessary. However, if it is a disaster of nuclear proportions, two or even three exclamation points may be necessary to convey the utter badness of the situation.

8 comments:

  1. I've long considered it one of the funniest words in the English language, but that's probably just me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one word you never want to hear when getting a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny like a clown. And scary like a clown too. The reason we think clowns are scary is we don't know what's under the paint. The reason we laugh when they get hurt is because now we know there is a klutz underneath it all. The laughter is more intense only because it is delayed.

    We have the same uncertainty with "oops." Oops is a very "doomy" word. It could mean as little as "Oops, I dropped all my pencils" or as much as "Oops, my finger twitch just initiated a nuclear holocaust."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right, Rob. One of the first things you learn as a dentist is not to say "Oops!". The second is not to say "Suction here - I can't see where the blood is coming from". Lastly, you learn in dentistry (and microbiology) to wash your hands BEFORE you go to the restroom (and after too, of course).

    I'm looking forward to seeing you during spring break!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure wether or not I appreciate the dentist humor,(or if I know for sure that it was humor). I just know that this comment will be in the back of my mind the very next time I see the dentist furrow his brow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it was definitely humor. My dad's a very good dentist, just so y'all know. He's known for his painless shots. You wait apprehensively for the shot, and ask when he's going to do it and you find out he already has. It's a wonderful thing. And he was definitely kidding about the "suction here."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Ashley, didn't mean to concern you. Dentists have a strange sense of humor. And as Rob will probably tell you, I'm probably worse than the rest. Of course I'm kidding. If you'll come to Florida and get some dental treatment I'll prove it to you!

    All I can say is, "Oops!".
    Dr. Noland

    ReplyDelete
  8. I trust you Dr. Noland. Now if only I didn't live in Alaska. I think that's as far away from Florida as you can be from Florida, and still be in the U.S. Too bad, because I hear the dentist in my town is really a nightmare, and I have an appointment with him next month!
    Do you do house-calls?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete