Sunday, December 7, 2008

I get excited

Okay guys, so here's the deal. I'm ridiculously excited about Christmas break, so I've been trying to line up the movies I want to see with family and friends. Anyhow, I've stumbled across a few soon-to-be-released films that look good, bad, and downright ugly. So I'll post a preview, draw conclusions about a book from merely perusing the cover, and you get to critique me. Here goes. 

The Day the Earth Stood Still, directed by Scott Derrickson
Release Date: December 19, 2008

Verdict: Bad. Although I'm excited they're doing a remake of a classic, I refuse to be a part of something that pays Keanu Reeves more than 10 million dollars to act like an alien. Seriously, I can think of at least a million better ways to throw away money than to pay Keanu Reeves to be himself. 

Terminator: Salvation, directed by McG
Release Date: May 22, 2009

Verdict: Good. T4 stars Christian Bale as John Connor? Okay, why in the world did it take them that long to figure this out? Throw in Helena Bonham Carter and Bryce Dallas Howard, without a doubt two of the most talented actresses right now, and I'm yours. Did I mention it's written by James Cameron, who wrote T2 and T3, directed T2 (arguably the best) and also directed Aliens? Yeah. That's right.  By the by, a much better quality video is here.

Avatar, directed by James Cameron
Release Date: December 18, 2009

Verdict: Good. It's James Cameron, it's apparently got the second biggest budget in film history (a quarter of a billion. That's right, with a b), and it's about Earth trying to take over another planet. It's either gonna be great or terrible. We'll give Cameron the benefit of the doubt, for right now. 

Bedtime Stories by Adam Shankman
Release Date: December 25, 2008

Verdict: Good. Adam Shankman, if you look him up on the IMDB, hasn't had a real miss as a director. Apparently Sandler took a cue from fellow adult comic Stiller and decided to do something kid friendly. We'll see if Courtney Cox can also drop the whole skank thing for a few minutes. It'll definitely be a stretch. 

Defiance, directed by Edward Zwick
Release Date: January 16, 2009

Verdict: Good. Daniel Craig is a great actor, and Zwick's credits include Glory, Blood Diamond, The Siege, and The Last Samurai. Looks like a winner to me.  

The International by Tom Twyker
Release Date: February 13, 2009

Verdict: Good. Yeah, Clive Owen is one of my favorite actors ever. This could go south and just be about vigilante justice, or it could actually be a great movie. But it's got Clive Owen, ya'll. And also, in a weird twist, Twyker recently broke up with his long-time girlfriend, who happens to be Marie from the Bourne movies. Has nothing to do with the movie, just a weird little fact. 

Valkyrie directed by Bryan Singer
Release Date: December 25, 2008
Verdict: Ugly. Guys, I'm sorry. It's always worse when great movies fail over a single, glaring oversight. Tom Cruise should not have been within a hundred miles of this film. It's directed by Bryan Singer (X-men, X2, The Usual Suspects, Superman Returns, and producer of House, M.D.), it's got Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, and even Eddie Izzard. Why, in the world, would anybody let this talent go to waste on a Tom Cruise movie!?! I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong, that this turns out to be amazing and Cruise pulls off the performance of a lifetime. But I don't think that's likely. 

Up, directed by Pete Doctor and Bob Peterson
Release Date: May 29, 2009 

Verdict: Good. Um, so can anyone actually think of anything they wanted to do as a childmore than this?! I mean seriously, this is a genius idea for a film. Pure genius.

7 comments:

  1. T4 looks so promising, I might just have to watch the first three so I can go see it. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Day...: Never saw the original, sadly. This one looks kinda boring. I hear nothing but awesome about the original.

    T4: Same here. Haven't seen the others, but want to. I actually bought T2 at Winco for a few bucks but haven't watched it yet. We should have a Terminator marathon as T4 gets nearer.

    Avatar: You know that's a fake trailer, right? ;P Yeah, Cameron pretty much rocks. I can't wait to see him team up with Sigourney Weaver again for some (hopefully) hardcore sci-fi. Aliens is one of my faves.Plus, Avatar is supposdely gonna have some breakthrough 3-D technology. I want a real trailer!

    Bedtime Stories: Meh.

    Defiance: That looks awesome.

    The International: Looks cool, but not great. I'll watch it on DVD for sure, though.

    Valkyrie: I'm actually really looking foward to this. Sure, Tom Cruise is crazy, but onscreen, he is fantastic. Valkyrie is actually one of my more anticipated films. And again, Cruise can be gold. We need to watch Minority Report sometime.

    Up: I almost peed a little bit from excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagreed with you on Tyler's blog. Check it out. Love to hear what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got to be honest I'm not too impressed by the prospect of the international. Looks like a boiled down combination of a bond flick and conspiracy theory, loosing some of the better parts of both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is "The International" going to be awesome? It has Clive Owen in it. The answer is yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ease up on Valkrie. Although Cruise is far from my favorite, he has been good in more than one movie. I think you may not be giving him a fair chance. I plan to see it Christmas Day with my dad. I will let you know how is goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the verdicts of Valkrie and Bedtime Stories were a little off. Most folks are saying Tom Cruise isn't that bad, although he over does it a little. And Bedtime Stories is turning into a typical Sandler tale, just a little lighter on the sleeze.

    I am highly looking forward to Defiance and The International, however. Those look awesome!

    ReplyDelete