Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On the Origin of the phrase and accompanying tune of "Nanny Nanny boo boo"


My dear readers, for some time I have had one great question preying upon my mind. This of course is - from whence comes the phrase "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo"? It appears to me as if everyone, from the very earliest ages on, are acquainted with this form of derision. Is this a comparatively recent development? Fifty years ago did some child of an age prior to that of schooling coin this phrase?

Perhaps, I should look even further back for the origin of this phrase. Could it be as old as Cain and Abel? It may have been this same fatal phrase which so enraged Cain as to commit murder. Unfortunately I still as yet have no answer to this question. If you could elucidate me on this matter I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps there is an obvious answer to this question and if this is the case I would entreat you to please correct my ignorance at once.

3 comments:

  1. Rob-
    Forgive the delay. The explanation of the universality of the phrase and tune recently struck me and I will now reply.
    First, the words: nanny nanny boo boo. The phrase is composed of two sets of repeated one- or two-syllable words. The first set ("nanny nanny") is comprised of the consonants easiest for the child's mouth. The letters n, m, l, and r belong to a group called liquids, as opposed to explosives (k, d, b, p) which require immensely more force and control. Of the liquids, the nasals (m and n) are particularly comfortable for the young mouth; the sound is as easy as humming. It is for this reason that children pronounce "Mommy" before they can utter "Daddy."
    Finally, the tune: The interval jumps employed in this melody are minor thirds (except for the escape tone added between the syllables of the second "nanny"). The jump from "nanny" to "nanny" is down a minor third (three half-steps), as is the journey from "boo" to "boo."
    This interval is one of the most favorable to the human ear. Many ear training/sight singing instructors teach it before any others. It is the familiar do-la or so-mi, c-a or g-e.
    I conclude that this ditty is sung so frequently because of the naturalness with which a child forms it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly Mary, a scientific explanation for a phrase that could have just originated from some kid trying to scare his nanny?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies. I do realize that the article was posted in jest. Please forgive the tone of my response.

    ReplyDelete