Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Narrow Stairs

Today I purchased Death Cab For Cutie's (henceforth referred to as DCFC) newest album Narrow Stairs. I have been a big fan of DCFC for several years and I've come to expect great things of them. I was not disappointed this time. There's just no other way to put it - this album ROCKS!!! Gibbard's lyrical poetry is in full form and the melodies are incredible. I was especially happy to find that DCFC breaks out of its typical sound. This album features a lot more bass and electric guitar then most of their previous stuff. Their change in instrumental tone fits perfectly with the tone of the lyrics. Lyrically this is a much drearier album than Plans. Plans is very upbeat and optimistic about the future. Narrow Stairs tells the sorry tale of the disillusioned idealists, dejected singles, and disappointed suitors. I recommend this music, but don't expect it to cheer you up.

2 comments:

  1. I think the music on this album is much deeper. On Transatlanticism and Plans the lyrics are incredibly deep and the music is great, but nothing incredibly innovative. Somehow I think this is more about the music than the lyrics. The lyrics are just a guide to the music. We can talk about this tomorrow . . . maybe we can go work out? I'm free after about 9 or 10, I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the music. There doesn't seem to be as much redundancy. Also, death cab seems to be more risky with their music in this album; it has way more dissonance than their previous stuff.

    ReplyDelete