Monday, April 6, 2009

What hurts the most

So, I made a rather bold resolution the other day. In a bizarre sort of reverse, mid-lent declaration the other day I have resolved to try to listen to more country music.

Now, those who know me well will know how much of a stretch this is. To my ears, the twangy whining/wheezing/wailing of a country singer is no more musical than nails on a chalkboard. I'm doing my best to fix this though. I recognize it as a gap in my musical palate. To this end, "Project Densensitisation" is underway.

The smart thing to do would to start with some "Southern rock." After all, rock is what I would consider to be my native genre. So, the natural transition would be to move into something that's a bit more southern but is still rock. It's sort of like easing your way into a freezing cold bit of water.

But that's not how I roll. I jump (headfirst when I know it won't kill me). Right now George Strait is singing something about Cowboys. Just a minute ago Kenny Chesney was saying something about how his wife (at any rate, the woman who hands him the jug of sweet tea) thinks his tractor is like, attractive(?). Right before that Rascall Flatts* was whining about something hurting really, really bad (the most in fact).

So I'm thinking. . .
- Yeah I guess cowboys have fun. Chasing the wind and all that jazz.
- Sure, I bet some women are attracted to tractors.
- What's that Rascall Flatts? Oh PLEASE. Stop the whining, will you? I really don't care how bad it hurts. The most, eh? OOOOO It can't be worse than what I'm suffering right now, listening to your whining. Like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. . .

You know, I think I'm beginning to get acclamated. I can't say I like country music, but I have made progress. Now, instead of running away screaming, I just laugh at it. Seriously, this stuff is hilarious. What's even funnier than the actual music is the fact that I am listening to it. Me. I keep looking around to make sure I'm not actually sitting in Lone Star Steakhouse with waiters dancing around and tripping on the peanuts.

P.S. My apologies to any "Rascall" fans. *Cough* Bobby Lee.

*Incidentally, I have found this equation to be quite helpful in understanding this band:
Boy Band + Country= Rascall Flatts

3 comments:

  1. Well, the acorn doesn't fall far. Mr. Smith gave me two CDs several weeks ago - a Kenny Chesney and Brad Paisley. I was listening to them as I was getting ready for work last week when your mother happened in. She accused me of being a "closet country lover", at least I think that was the term she used. Some of it wasn't too terribly awful. While I think you've acquired more of your mother's taste in food, I like to think I've influenced your music somewhat. And you have certainly influenced mine.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might I recommend a song?

    Country song Backwards by Rascal Flats.

    I think you'll find it rather agreeable.

    ReplyDelete