Thursday, January 22, 2009

President Obama's first executive order

I would like to begin with a caveat. I did not vote for Obama (I didn't vote at all, as you may remember). Nor do I wish I voted for Obama (or for McCain). I am deeply upset with our new President's Pro-death voting record in the Senate. In short, I wish we had a President who supported unborn human rights. However, I have great hopes for the other human rights during his administration:

-He promises more humanitarian aid to those suffering in Darfur, and his Senate voting record supports this.

-His first executive order was to shut down Gitmo within a year.

-He signed a bill today abolishing America's use of torture.

-Basically, he just eliminated all the problems I had with the Bush administration.

None of this changes the fact that Obama supports the murder of babies. We can't just look past this. But neither can we look at this alone, and look past the good that Obama is already doing. That would be ingratitude. God has a purpose for Obama, and I do not think it's just judgment.

We who are Christians should not be humanists (in the ideological sense). But that in no way means that we can't be humanitarians.

Peace

4 comments: