Sunday, December 13, 2009

Finals

Finals. . . aren't. If NSA has taught me one thing, it is that work is never done. Work is cyclical. I'm finished with that history paper, but I will be writing another history paper shortly. Then, I might be done with writing history papers (hopefully this sad state will never happen), but I will be writing more papers and taking more tests. Also, let it be known, I plan to teach a bit after college. What does this mean? I'll be assigning and grading papers. Where does it end? Not in academia.

The lawn does not stay mowed, the leaves don't stay off the lawn, and the dishes certainly don't stay clean. C.S. Lewis aptly described the sequence of life (in I think "Surprised by Joy"). Term, holidays, term, holidays, till we leave school, and then work, work, work till we die.

I can only think of two times in all of history when an act was justly declared completed; unique and never to be repeated. One was at the very beginning of history, one was right in the middle.

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made" Genesis 2:2 (KJV)

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." John 19:30 (KJV)

There it is. That is finality.

3 comments: