Monday, July 27, 2009

Ocean's refrain

I was recently commissioned by a friend to write a new stanza to the old hymn "How Great Thou Art." She loves the hymn, but wished that there were a stanza about the ocean. Here's what I came up with:

When I look out and see the ocean’s rolling,
Over the sand, O Lord it’s you I see;
You wave your hands, the waves are gently flowing
Pushing the shells onto the sandy beach

"Then Sings my Soul. . ."

I had to hum the song to myself to make sure the words fit the melody. I doubt if it will ever be added to the hymnal, but I like it nonetheless.

4 comments:

  1. I have often thought it a shame that this hymn lacked a Resurrection verse... I actually think I will try and write something for us to sing next Easter. Perhaps you can help with this. Here is my first scribbling:

    And now to think, Your tomb's great desertion,
    Displays a hope, such power testifies.
    Raised from the dead, Firstborn's new creation,
    Lift up your voice, Ye Saints now justified.


    Then, sings my soul…

    al sends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob and Pastor,

    Those are both beautiful! That is one of my favorite hymns. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it Pastor Stout. The only thing is, I think the first verse needs 11 beats to fit the rhythm or else "your" needs to be unnaturally accented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you think of this?


    And on the day, the morn of resurrection
    When Christ the Lord, rose up from dead to life;
    I long the day, that day of jubilation
    When fallow ground gives up its long-held strife

    Then sings my soul. . .

    ReplyDelete